HELLO


Hi there, welcome to my blog! and thankyou for stopping by. I have designed this blog to share with you knitting patterns that are my favourites and, i'll be trying out some new ones along the way. I also hope to help knitters new and old (i don't mean your age LOL) by sharing information, handy hints and tips, answering quieries and helping solve your knitting problems. Before you go, please help me by making a comment and suggest any knitting project you'd like to see.

Thanks again. Have a nice day!


Dianne

Thursday, January 17, 2013

'Thoughtful Thursday' Syrian Children Out In The Cold

Photo: AFP


As I lay in my bed last night, listening to the storm outside (torrential rain, thunder, lightning), I was thinking of the Syrian refugees. Thinking of the children who have already been through so much suffering and now having to live in tents as winter conditions set in. Yesterday I read a report from Save the children Out In The Cold a compilation of testimonies and photos laying out some of the challenges Syrian families face as they prepare to endure a cruel winter, out in the cold, and it broke my heart. There is a photo of a little boy aged 5 with his hands all chapped from the cold saying ' I want a blanket'. That image won't leave me! 
I am so proud and amazed by all we (LILY) have achieved - 10 months since I founded LILY - Love In the Language of Yarn and I put out a plea for knitted and crochet squares to make blankets for the Syrian children in the refugee camps in Turkey we have sent off an amazing 4,225 blankets to help warm the children. But it's not enough! there are at the moment 154,705 Syrian refugees in Turkey and at least 60% of them are children.

Please Help LILY

I am asking if everyone can send just 3 squares! I realise the cost of sending items by post especially to Turkey can be costly but  3 squares  would fit easily into an envelope and postage shouldn't be too great. 

 So please if you could just knit or crochet 3 x 8inch squares, pop them in an envelope and send them to the address at the bottom of this page, we will sew them together to make blankets and a child with nothing will get a warm and colourful, cover for their bed!


We work with reputable, experienced relief agencies to securely transport and distribute our hand-knit and crocheted blankets. 
You can also find us at:  https://www.facebook.com/LilyLoveInTheLanguageOfYarn


Please Help If You Can!
'Lily' is supported by businesses and individuals in Turkey, whether it be donations of yarn, Knitting and Crocheting or transportation of completed blankets to receiving agencies.
'Lily' has no paid employees.  All the good work is done on a strictly volunteer basis.
'Lily' wishes to thank all those private individuals and businesses which support us.  Without you, there would be no 'Lily' - Love In the Language of Yarn.  We work hard for the day when we are no longer needed to help keep Children warm.

Dianne Jones - Founder of  'Lily'- Love In the Language of Yarn.
Address - 'LILY' C/O Dianne Jones
                   Türkmen Mahlesi
                    Ünlü sokak No 10 D4
                    Kuşadası
                    Aydin
                    Turkey.